Friday, June 19, 2009

First Bus ride down

Hey friends,

My consistency so far is surprising even to me :) The 16 hour bus last night was amazing. Let me give you an idea. Imagine this...

You arrive at the bus station, which they warned you about as being dirty and unsafe. I would have eaten off those floors and felt so safe. You go to BAGGAGE check...yep, they don´t just throw it under the bus. It´s like a freaking airport. Then you get on this double decker bus with seats that lean back to be practically beds. As you settle in thinking you´ve got it pretty good, the intro video comes on and explains that you get blankets, pillows, two meals, and Wi Fi. Seriously. Amazing. To top it all off, after dinner and before the movie, the steward of sorts hands you a BINGO card and whole top half of the bus plays BINGO for a free return ticket. You don´t win, but who really cares. You played BINGO on a bus in Peru. They then put on a violent French movie and you wake up with breakfast (ham and cheese sandwich and a brownie...double ha.) and watched Marley and Me and Step Up. Overall, you had a pretty posh ride.

We´re in Arequipa now...more to come later, but it´s a beautiful city surrounded by volcanoes. I just sat on the hostel roof and read while looking at the volcano in the distant. Life is good :)

Hasta luego friends,
Michelle

5 comments:

  1. hahaha. You would have licked the floor of that place? after that comment I don't know if i can beleive the rest of your story. The trip sounds awesome so far though. Keep writing, I'm liking the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed your witty busy story...well done! We miss you around here. I'm so glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was supposed to be "bus story." Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you find this kind of bus? And how much did you have to pay? My South American bus experiences all involve swaying through the Andes with loud mariachi music and bad zombie movies. I'm still wearing my incredulous face about this story... : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! Linz asked if I had read about the bus ride... The way she asked, I assumed the worst. I NEVER would have imagined what it really was. Unbelievable. So glad you're in Peru, friend! Especially since your room is still full of my stuff.:)

    ReplyDelete